What is HEOR?
According to The Professional Society for Health Economics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR), HEOR is:
- The confluence of two bodies of work: Health economics and outcomes research, which, when combined, provide insights and evidence for stakeholders in the healthcare industry.
- The health economics (HE) part of the discipline measures the value of an intervention, such as a treatment or therapy.
- The outcomes research (OR) piece is a set of disciplines that generate insights and evidence to show the impact the intervention has/d on patients.
- Data and insights that can be used to help life sciences companies develop strategies and plans, perform landscape assessments and database analyses, map evidence, create economic models, gain payer insights, and support health technology assessments (HTAs).
And that’s just the tip of the complexity iceberg. Review the diagram* to see all the areas HEOR touches:
* Source: ISPOR, showing The Complex HEOR Ecosystem