It doesn’t matter how great your content is if your audience doesn’t get past the headline.
The headline is your chance to grab your reader’s attention. Speaking of attention, did you know the average adult has a shorter attention span than a goldfish?1
A recent study found that only 20% of readers finished reading an article, and the average visitor to an article online only read about 25% of it.2
These stats don’t bode well for marketers trying to motivate individuals to respond to their well-placed call-to-actions sprinkled throughout their articles. Enter the compelling headline.
Craft captivating headlines
Here are seven actionable ways to start writing better marketing headlines.
- Write a teaser, not a summary
- Make every word count
- Convey a sense of urgency
- Use power words like they’re going out of style
- Don’t be afraid to make a bold claim
- Toss in a colorful word or unique turn of phrase
- Present a numbered list of ways to improve in a particular area
Pro-tip: Pay attention to the headlines that grab you and figure out why. I keep a running list of my favorites.
Fill your funnel with content that converts
What headlines capture your attention?